Sunday, March 22, 2009

Anorexia

Something dark and ominous lurks around the corner. I have no light to guide me. I close my eyes, noticing the lack of change in vision between eyes open or shut. I reach out, searching for something that will make me aware of my location; something to calm my pounding heart. The sound of the rhythmic beating in my chest seems to reverberate against something--perhaps--yes--walls; my hands slide over them, feeling the grainy, rough texture. I lean against the wall, exhausted from walking and thinking. By this time I'm starving; I can't remember the last time I ate. I sit, leaning against the wall for support as I sink lower. Something moves somewhere in the dark. I didn't hear a noise or see anything in the darkness to make me sense this, but still I know something is out there. And this something does no intend to help me. It's will is evil. She wants to hurt me. I wonder to myself how I know she is female as I see and hear nothing. The thing is closer now; I sense her presence moving closer to me. It's colder, and goosebumps trail from my hairline to my ankles, forcing me to draw my knees to my chest to protect myself from the frigid air. Closer. The feeling inside of me becomes even stronger now, causing my arms to shake and the muscles in my legs to tighten. Her intentions are cruel; she tries to hide them from my sight by replacing these feelings with one of calm. She knows it won't fool me for long, but it gives her time. Time to close in on her prey after lying to it, telling it to trust her. Closer, she comes. The calm is fading, I know that I should run, but I am too weak to move. My legs would give out if I tried to stand. Closer. My whole body is shaking now, the sense once internal now escaping and rolling over my skin. Closer. The wall on which I lean begins to shake, showing me that I am not the only fixture affected by her movement. Closer. The wall vibrates harder; I fear that any more and it will collapse on me. Closer. The calm is over me no more, and I begin to see her clearly. She's monstrous, and my mind immediately turns to memories in my panic. I begin to compare her to creatures from horror stories in my temporary insanity, deciding she is worse than all combined. She's practically standing over me, looking down on my weak, fragile body with an evil smirk on her disfigured face. The walls around me are starting to collapse; dust and debris begin to fill the air. If I'm going to get out it has to be now. As if hearing my thoughts she takes the last step closer, dashing any hopes of escape. I hear faint voices somewhere far away, calling to me, trying to save me, but I know that there is no way for me to get out alive. She has taken my control. Small pieces of the wall fall on my head, feet, and knees, but I feel nothing. I can't feel anything at all. I know I am going to die, but strangely, I am not afraid. My sanity has left me by this point. I wait for the end, when the walls will inevitably fall in on my body, suddenly realizing she is still above me. I wonder why she has not left, or if she too will be buried beneath the stone. We meet eyes--oh, those eyes. I am filled with horror at the eyes of the creature above me. They're of the most beautiful color-like an emerald-but in them you can see every cruel and evil intention that passes through the mind behind them. As realization sets in I find the words to say, "You did this to me." She seems to find these words pleasing because she grins her evil smile even wider, exposing rows upon rows of sharp, yellow fangs. She nods. I have merely seconds; the falling pieces of stone larger now, breaking the skin and becoming stained with my blood, but still I feel no pain. I look up; the monster is gone. Anger and frustration well up inside of me as I realize that the monster has escaped. I ache both internally and externally now for the people-young and old-who will inevitably have havoc wrought upon them at the wrath of the beast. As the stone and debris begin to bury me, I use my last breaths to utter a prayer for mercy on these victims as it was not shown to me.

1 comment:

  1. hey girl,,, How are you? i see you have long time to post some news of you.. Are you okay?? Please, please let me know. I'm so worried about you..and believe me, I've been in a similar position..

    ReplyDelete